The Schoharie Valley Railway


The Schoharie Valley Railway was founded by Jacob Vroman and built by the Town of Schoharie in 1866.  Three generations of the Vroman family ran the line until a son-in-law sold the family's stock to the Delaware and Hudson in 1915.

It looks impressive just by this postcard, but The Schoharie Valley was only 4.07 miles long.  The decimal point seems to be missing from the caption.  As a matter of fact, at one time the SV was the smallest operating shortline in the country.  Even her sister road, The M&S was over 5 miles long.

A busy day at the Schoharie Depot shows Number 5 arriving with passengers. The Horse drawn buggy on the right was for taking visitors to The Parrot House, an Inn that survives to this day.  The Depot survives today as a part of the Schoharie Colonial Heritage Association. Visit their site Here.

(Joseph A. Smith/Ken Bradford Collection)


Parrot House, Schoharie



Speak of the devil, here she is!



Here is 4-4-0, Schoharie Valley Number 5. She was built in 1874 at the Lackawanna & Bloomsburg's Kingston, Pa., shops. She was a former DL&W engine and was sold to The SV in 1902.

(Joseph A. Smith/Ken Bradford Collection)

Here is Another shot of #5.  This engine was scrapped right around the time the D&H took over in 1915. (Joseph A. Smith/Ken Bradford Collection)


Here is the engine that replaced the Number 5, SV #6.  She was a local product built by ALCO in Schenectady in 1913. She came to the SV from the Keesville, Ausable Chasm and Lake Champlain RR. (Joseph A. Smith/Ken Bradford Collection)


Here is #6 in Schoharie Yard. (Joseph A. Smith/Ken Bradford Collection)



Here is Schoharie Valley 2-6-0 No. 6 at Schoharie Jct.  on  6/9/1941. (Joseph A. Smith/Ken Bradford Collection)

Another shot of Number 6.  This time pulling her coach in the Schoharie Valley Countryside.

(PHOTO: Richard Palmer Collection)

milk

A one time customer, the former Borden's Creamery still sits near the Railroad Complex in Schoharie.

(PHOTO: Dean Splittgerber)

milk2

Here's a close-up of the former Borden's sign on the building.

(PHOTO: Dean Splittgerber)


milkmap


Here's a map showing the location of the former Borden's Creamery in Schoharie


After the SV was abandoned in 1942, she went to The Hoosac Tunnel and Wilmington Railroad in Vermont where she served a few more years.  Here she is in Reedsboro, VT on July 2nd, 1949. (Joseph A. Smith/Ken Bradford Collection)


Return Home